UPDATE – 29 June, 2022
Latest from Nauru COVID crisis – As of end of Tuesday 28 June the Government of Nauru reports there is now 3161 active COVID cases. This equates to around 30 per cent of population. 362 houses are in lockdown.
Over fifty per cent of Nauru COVID tests positive – 28 June 2022
More than one in every five Nauruans have COVID-19, according to the latest government figures which also said that alarmingly, 50 per cent of tests are returning positive results.
As of the end of Sunday there were 2392 active COVID cases in Nauru, which has a total population of between 10,000 and 11,000 people.
Of the total population, 8037 people have been tested so far during this outbreak.
Eight people are in the acute care unit of the hospital. There are three serious cases of which two are adults with underlying conditions and another a child with high fever.
The government quarantine transit stations were holding 324 people.
The total number of houses around the island that are in lockdown is 424 with 1,930 residents. The Government is offering cartons of water and noodles, and the Taiwan Technical Mission is providing eggs to these houses in lockdown. The Government has asked people to be patient while waiting for delivery teams.
Nauru’s worsening COVID crisis – 26 June 2022
COVID-19 has spread at an accelerated pace in Nauru with current figures showing more than 13 per cent of the population is confirmed as positive.
According to figures given by the Nauruan government, there were 1,472 active cases as of Friday last week.
This sudden outbreak in the island nation means that Nauru could easily become the last nation in the Pacific to open its international borders.
At the end of Friday, 24 June, there were 311 new cases and 1,472 active cases. Four people were in the hospital’s acute care unit and one was a severe case as the patient had missed dialysis, and 29 houses across all districts were in isolation with 1,325 occupants.
The government quarantine transit stations were holding 311 people. As numbers go up, President Lionel Aingimea has called on children to get vaccinated. Nauru’s adult population are all but vaccinated.
“There is no harm and there may be benefit to your child if they receive the vaccine and then get COVID soon after,” Mr Aingimea said.
“If your child has already been infected with COVID during this outbreak, you can wait until late September for the 1st dose and 2nd dose 3-4 weeks later, before the end of October.”
Nauru has set up special quarantine accommodation for people who feel that they would not be safe at home.
COVID safe protocols have been enacted in the nation and people are being reminded that the virus moves with people.
Despite several warnings, there have been violations of the safety protocols leading to police taking action.
“Police went around closing some shops because there were more than three people inside the store. This was not a curfew measure,” Mr Aingimea said.
“The public is advised that only three people are allowed inside a shop at any one time to minimise gatherings and the spread of COVID.
“Shop owners must remind customers of this otherwise police will close the business operations.”