As meetings, incentives, conferences, and exhibitions (MICE) go, New Zealand’s Auckland Convention Bureau retained its title as the best in the business at the recent World MICE Awards, and is Oceania’s best MICE destination for the third year running.
It tallied the most scores in a six-week online voting period to beat fellow nominees from the capital city Wellington, and Australian MICE destinations in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth.
Ken Pereira, head of the Auckland Convention Bureau said it was a special region that blends world-class infrastructure, experienced talent, advanced industries, natural beauty and breath-taking experiences.
“We are thrilled to be recognised as a leading destination by the global MICE industry as we continue to bring memorable business event experiences to our delegates, visitors and clients,” he said.
“With the New Zealand International Convention Centre (NZICC) coming online, a newly refurbished Aotea Centre and the Viaduct Events Centre available from 2023, the future is exciting for Auckland conferences and events,”.
“In the 2021/22 financial year Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland won 102 business events, which are expected to inject $75.5m million into the region’s economy in the coming years,” the bureau reported.
With COVID restrictions basically out the door, business travel in Australia, New Zealand and most Pacific Island countries have generally resumed and as the World Travel & Tourism Council points out, can significantly increase tourism revenue from the large quantities of high spending visitors they bring to destinations.
“It can also extend the tourism season whilst helping to synergise ideas and increase business sales,” the council said. “In addition, the surge in ‘workation holidays’ enabled by remote and flexible working offers new opportunities to travel providers and destinations. However, it is important to note that recovery will likely vary by travel segment, business sector, and country.”
The Council is also positive about MICE-related travel in the region.
“Business travel may return faster in Asia-Pacific than in many European and American markets, with recovery possibly taking place in phases depending on dominant industry sectors.”
New Zealand destinations also scooped regional titles for Oceania’s Best New MICE Hotel (Ramada by Wyndham Newmarket Auckland), Oceania’s Best MICE Organizer (SMC Events) and Oceania’s Best MICE Airline (Air New Zealand).
Samoa took top honours for Oceania’s Best MICE Hotel in the form of Sheraton Samoa Beach Resort while French Polynesia’s Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora was named Oceania’s Best Incentive Hotel.
For national MICE winners, the accolade is a particularly proud clinch as country borders reopen to global travel and destinations re-establish themselves.
Properties such as InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa claimed double wins as Fiji’s Best MICE Hotel, and its inhouse service provider, Encore Events Technologies, as Fiji’s Best MICE Organizer.
Earlier this year, the resort introduced ActivePure technology, proven to reduce over 99.9 percent of the virus that causes COVID-19, both on surfaces and in the air, and recently completed a quarter-million-dollar upgrade set to impact the overall event experience.
World MICE Awards 2022 – Oceania Region
• Oceania’s Best MICE Destination- Auckland Convention Bureau (New Zealand).
• Oceania’s Best MICE Hotel 2022 – Sheraton Samoa Beach Resort.
• Oceania’s Best New MICE Hotel 2022 – Ramada by Wyndham Newmarket Auckland (New Zealand).
• Oceania’s Best Incentive Hotel – Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora (French Polynesia).
• Oceania’s Best MICE Organizer- SMC Events (New Zealand).
• Oceania’s Best MICE Airline – Air New Zealand.
• Best Convention Centre – Melbourne Convention Exhibition Centre.
• Best MICE Hotel – Pan Pacific Melbourne.
• Best Incentive Hotel – Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast.
• Best MICE Organizer – ID Events Australia.
• Best Incentive Hotel – Aitutaki Lagoon Private Island Resort.
• Best MICE Hotel – InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa.
• Best MICE Organizer – Encore, Fiji.
• Best Incentive Hotel – Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
• Best Incentive Hotel – Hilton Guam Resort & Spa.
• Best Incentive Hotel – Sheraton New Caledonia Deva Spa & Golf Resort.
• Best MICE Hotel – Cordis, Auckland.
• Best Incentive Hotel – Blanket Bay.
• Best MICE Organizer – SMC Events.
• Best Incentive Hotel – Palau Pacific Resort.
Papua New Guinea
• Best MICE Hotel – Airways Hotel Port Moresby.
• Best MICE Hotel – Sheraton Samoa Beach Resort.
• Best Incentive Hotel – Warwick Le Lagoon.